The Top 5 Alternatives to Starfall.com: Free Interactive Literacy WebsitesWhen it comes to interactive literacy websites, does your child need a change? Are your students longing for a little variety during computer center time? Let's face it. Starfall.com is one of the best websites out there, but it's not the only one available. We've scoured the Internet and have compiled the top 5 alternatives to Starfall.com.
1. Literactive.com - Literactive.com provides interactive and downloadable reading material for children in pre-school to first grade. The website offers guided leveled readers, learning activities, worksheets, and also electronic poetry and picture books. Many of the activities are also available in Spanish. The most impressive feature is the Road to Reading phonics program that teaches children letter shapes/sounds and CVC vowels/revisions. In order to access or download any of the materials, you must first complete the free registration.
2. MightyBook.com - MightyBook.com is a website that helps children learn to read with stories, songs, jokes, games, and more. This site is very easy to navigate, and the bright colors and adorable characters make it appealing to small children. There are 50 free activities on the home page that can be accessed without registering. If you are interested in registering, a variety of subscription plans are offered which would give you access to over 500 stories and activities.
3. LeadingtoReading.org - LeadingtoReading.org is a site that provides free books and resources to children and families. The site, also available in Spanish, is split into three sections: Babies and Toddlers, Preschoolers, and Grown-Ups. The Babies and Toddlers sections offers stories, lullabies, and more. The Preschoolers section adds in sing-a-long videos, coloring pages, and wildlife exploration! The Grown-Ups section offers advice and articles on how to encourage literacy among children. No registration is required to access any of the materials provided on this site.
4. Literacycenter.net - Literacycenter.net is a site that offers free educational materials to pre-school aged children in 4 different languages . The Parents and Teachers section provides lessons that are divided into 6 subject areas: Colors, Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Writing, and Words. The Play and Learn section provides activities for learning uppercase letters, lowercase letters, shapes, writing, keyboarding, etc. No registration is required.
5. RoytheZebra.com - RoytheZebra.com is a website for emerging readers that includes free interactive reading games, guided reading stories, songs, and more. Also available are online guided reading stories with lesson plan resources for teachers such as literacy worksheets and discussions sheets. This website helps children work on a variety of literacy skills including letters, vowel phonemes, and double consonants. Registration is not required to access any of the materials, but it does give you access to their e-newsletter.